[OSRS-PROJ] NAD2NAD in the Dominican Republic

Cliff Mugnier cjmce at lsu.edu
Fri Apr 12 18:55:21 EDT 2002

Data files for NADCON-derived software are for
United States ONLY.  There likely will not be any
extension of the files for other countries.  I do
not believe that the U.S. National Geodetic Survey
has performed any Datum readjustments of ANY
countries in Latin America.  (Except for Mexico).

If you go to the Dominican Republic and spend a
couple years or more performing geodetic-quality
observations with dual-frequency GPS receivers for
the entire island of Hispaniola, you may have
sufficient information to start your own Datum
readjustment.  The results could then be used to
develop the distortion data files used to produce
a lattice of points solved for "minimum curvature"
constraints, etc.

In other words, don't hold your breath.  It ain't
gonna happen for decades.

Use a plain ole 3-parameter "Military Molodensky"
Datum shift and be satisfied.  You're not going to
do better than 25 meters per component, anyway.

Prof. Clifford J. Mugnier (cjmce at LSU.edu)
Chief of Geodesy
CENTER FOR GEOINFORMATICS
Department of Civil Engineering
LOUISIANA STATE UNIVERSITY
2408 CEBA Building
Baton Rouge, LA  70803
Voice and Facsimile:  (225) 578-8536
Pager:                     1-(888) 365-5180
See:  http://www.ASPRS.org/resources.html
         http://www.ce.lsu.edu/~mugnier/