[OSRS-PROJ] Projection Parameters Meta Information

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Fri Apr 19 09:18:19 EDT 2002

Michael Lacher wrote:
> What would be needed would be something like:
>
> For projection type:
> * human readable name
> * name used by PROJ
> * parameters which can be used with this projection
 >
> For ellipse:
> * human readable name
> * name used by PROJ
>
> For Parameters
> * human readable name
> * name used by PROJ
> * internal unique ID which is used by projection type to specify the
> links between projection and parameters
>
> My question is: Does something like this exist already (preferrable as a
> free library) ?
>
> If yes: where can I find informatino about it ?
> If no:  would anyone (except me) be interested in such a thing ?

Michael,

Part of what you want is readily available.  The projection and ellipse
list with ids and descriptions can be fetched from the commandline using
the "proj -le" or "proj -lp" commands.  These can be accessed programatically
... see proj.c to see how it does it.

However, what isn't available is:
  o A list of parameters that apply to each projection.
  o The long names of the parameters

In fact, this would be very nice to have but it doesn't exist anywhere in
an organized way.  If you would like to develop an internal data structure
holding this information I would be pleased to cooperate with you to
incorporate it into the core PROJ.4 system.