[OSRS-PROJ] PROJ.4 usage in mapserver system - orthographic usage thread

Gerald I. Evenden gerald.evenden at verizon.net
Thu Aug 14 22:49:19 EDT 2003

I got curious about this "mapserver" system and its relation to
PROJ.4 so I pulled it down and took a look at it.

Routines of interest seem to be mapproject.c and mapresample.c
and calls to pj_transform and pj_fwd.

I noted that the output of pj_fwd was *not* tested for error
in mapproject.c.  The output of pj_transform was checked
(functional return) but I could not find it in the mapserver
distribution and assume it was your value added to PROJ.4.

If the program was used so that data went directly through
pj_fwd/inv, per the second half of the function  msProjectPoint
then failure will occur since the return will be MS_SUCCESS
regardless of the success of the pj_fwd/inv call.

The patch appears obvious but I will not attempt it until I
successfully install the system.  I suspect the pj_transform
is related to datum changes so I can ignore it (dummy procedure)
for non datum shift usage.
--
Gerald I. Evenden <gerald.evenden at verizon.net>