[OT] Mail and List Reply (was: Re: [Proj] A problem with this list)

Gerald Evenden gerald.evenden at verizon.net
Thu Dec 23 11:16:29 EST 2004

I am sorry to bring up such a contentious topic.

I apparently I had the wrong assumption about the purpose and execution
of
an email list: sharing information among a group with like interests.

A reasonable extension of this concept is that all messages are shared
among
the members of the group.

Under the current operation I feel that I am missing messages that may
have
been sent in reply to requests for help.

All the other email list I have belonged to have upheld this philosophy
and
abetted it by having the "reply to" refer to the sending group.  To
make a reply
to this list I have to start a new message, set up the group address,
copy over
the subject line and prefix with a "Re:".  With most groups all I have
to do is
hit the "reply to" and I'm ready to type.

As an aside to one other remark on this subject: the Apple Power Book
with
OSX and the mail routine provided does not have a "reply to author"
button.
Neither Kmail nor Evolution on my Linux system have "reply to author."
Am I to assume that I do not have any email program "worth its salt?"
Sorry, I did not check my M$ as I'd have to reboot my Linux machine.
Jerry and the low riders: Daisy Mae and Joshua.
"The whole religious complexion of the modern world is due to the
absence from Jerusalem of a lunatic asylum." Havelock Ellis, 1914