[OSRS-PROJ] proj4 parameter question regarding UTM

Ed McNierney ed at topozone.com
Fri Feb 6 19:53:42 EST 2004

Peter -

If that's what you're looking for, you got the right answer.

You concluded that it was wrong because you compared it to the zone 7
northing and easting, not the pseudo-zone 10 values.

While you can mathematically do what you're intending, you will get
severe distortion in your data.  Using "tmerc instead" won't help - UTM
is simply a particular form of tmerc, and using tmerc for such a large
extent will produce a comparable degree of distortion.

Depending on your application, that distortion might be acceptable.  The
reason UTM zones are 6 degrees wide is based on a desire to limit the
extent of that distortion.

	- Ed

Ed McNierney
President and Chief Mapmaker