[Proj] Projection of SHP file nightmare.

Frank Warmerdam fwarmerdam at gmail.com
Tue Jul 19 14:21:23 EDT 2005

On 7/19/05, Dave Sampson <gis at watersheds.ca> wrote:
> Problem:
> another way?
>
> I know the *.prj files hold projection data. Can you 'trick' the files
> by editing those?

Dave,

If you want to show a variety of data together the easiest way (in
my opinion) would be to convert them all to geographic lat/long.
If your shapefiles have proper .prj files associated with them already,
you can convert them to WGS84 using a commandline like:

 ogr2ogr -t_srs WGS84 out.shp in.shp

You could also try and pick a sensible projected coordinate system
to convert them all too, but this can be a bit tricky if you have data
over a large area.

In case you don't know, ogr2ogr is part of GDAL/OGR (and available
in FWTools - http://fwtools.maptools.org).