[Proj] Michigan Georef Defition Fixed!

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Jan 30 12:05:53 EST 2007

Clever, Max wrote:
> Oscar and Melita,
>

> Thank you, so very much for your help.  I was finally able to get the
> coordinates to match up when I switched the longitude to -86.  Also,
> please disregard the Point 2 output results I got from autocad in my
> last message I misread them.  I’ve posted new point comparisons below.
> I hope you don’t feel like I wasted your time after going through all
> this!  I do have a couple questions though, now that I can get it to
> work correctly.
>
>    1. I know I can edit the epsg file myself to get this coordinate
>       system in there using an epsg index number higher than 32800.
>       What needs to happen to get this projection officially added to
>       the epsg file so that in the most current build of proj the “nad”
>       folder will contain this projection in epsg?  It would be nice to
>       have prepackaged builds of GRASS, Mapserver, and Mapguide OS using
>       this projection “out of the box”.

Max,

File a bug report in the PROJ.4 bugzilla with the issue, the correct encoding
as well as a bit of supporting information (such as test points).  I can then
add it as an override or possible if I understand the pattern I will be able
to modify the epsg translation script (and GDAL/OGR, etc) to handle this
properly throughout.

I must admit I stopped following this thread in detail.  Is there a general
lesson on how a particular EPSG projection method code should be rendered
into PROJ.4 format that I should be taking away from this?