AW: [Proj] DHDN / Gauss Krueger to WGS84

Dean Mikkelsen dcmikkelsen at shaw.ca
Fri Sep 21 13:26:28 EDT 2007

Hi Oliver,

No question is ever dumb. If no one ever asks, no one can ever learn.

A technical definition from Wikipedia states:

"The European Terrestrial Reference System 1989, usually referred to as ETRS89, is a three-dimensional geodetic frame of reference - a mapping coordinate system used as the standard high accuracy system for GPS in Europe.

It coincided with the World Geodetic System 1984 in 1989, hence the name, and is based on the same GRS80 ellipsoid. Unlike WGS84 or ITRS it is centred on Europe and diverges from them with the movements of the tectonic plates associated with this landmass."

Please see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ETRS89 for ETRS89
                 and  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Geodetic_System_1984 for WGS84

These are some pretty good description of some systems used in Geodesy.

Cheers,
Dean