[Proj] Name that projection

Gerald I. Evenden geraldi.evenden at gmail.com
Mon Nov 17 19:37:08 EST 2008

Paul Anderson alerted me to a problem with the Winkel II projection: it was in
error as described in the libproj4 system.  The real Winkel II is a variant
of the Eckert III series of pseudocylindrials with ellipticall shaped
meridians.  I had used Snyder's original description from his paper "A
Comparison of Pseudocylindrical Map Projections."  But he recanted on p. 196
of "Flattening the Earth" which was verified with an independent source.

Things are being corrected but in the process the projection originally
described as Winkel II does not have a name nor can be attibuted to anything
but Snyder's erroneous paper.  At the moment, rather than throw it away, I
will designate it as the no-name projection.

However, if anyone can give it a verifiable attribution, please let me know.

It is the Winkel II in the current 20081109 manual.pdf on
http://members.verizon.net/~gerald.evenden/proj4/

It will be called the no-name in new reissue of the manual.