[Proj] Some need for updated proj-4 manuals

Gerald I. Evenden geraldi.evenden at gmail.com
Mon Sep 15 09:56:55 EDT 2008

On Monday 15 September 2008 2:37:06 am Glynn Clements wrote:
> The following are taken from the table used by GRASS' g.setproj
> module:

These folks are obviously playing to a different drummer...

> alpha	Azimuth angle at Cartesian Origin
> azim	Azimuth Angle of Tilt in Decimal degrees
> guam
> heigh	Height of Viewing Point in Meters
> kfact	Scale Factor at the Central Meridian
> lat0	Central Parallel
> lat1	First Standard Parallel
> lat2	Second Standard Parallel
> lat3	Third Standard Parallel

That one gets me. ?  3rd parallel?  What kind of surface is that?

> latb	Angular Distance from Tangency Point
> latts	Latitude of True Scale
> lon0	Central Meridian
> lon1	First Standard Meridian
> lon2	Second Standard Meridian
> lon3	Third Standard Meridian

2nd and 3rd meridians!?!?

> lonc	Longitude of Cartesian Origin
> lotsa	LOTSA

'nuff said.

> mfact	m factor
> msfact	M factor
> nfact	n factor

this is like the hippy-dippy weatherman of the late, great George Carlin: "
Some temperatures from around the country, ... 45, 50, 72, 60, 72, ... ".

Out of context, a list of options means nothing.