[Proj] Finally: geodesic-1.0 is available

Gerald I. Evenden geraldi.evenden at gmail.com
Thu Jan 8 19:27:52 EST 2009

On Thursday 08 January 2009 6:56:22 pm strebe wrote:
> On Jan 8, 2009, at 3:11:02 PM, "Gerald I. Evenden"
> <geraldi.evenden at gmail.com> wrote: My first problem is that unlike
> projections where I can imagine someone processing untold millions of
> points in a data-in->data-out, I could not image that usage in the case of
> geodesic information other than the two interpolation operations I
> included. Secondly, the format of result of massive processing is difficult
> for me to predict.
> Note that ellipsoidal forms of  oblique azimuthal equidistant, as well as a
> Cassini-Soldner projections and others, require computation of geodesics.
> What goes for projections, goes for geodesics, since the latter is likely
> to be deployed in the former.
>
> Regards,
> — daan Strebe

Undoubtedly, but neither the old program geod nor geodesic are suitable
vehicles for map projections and thus the intent of my comment had nothing to
do with projections.  The procedures within both could be employed in a map
projection but the programs themselves are of no conceivable use in map
projections other than perhaps checking projection software.

Of the map projections that do geodesic calculations, I am not aware of any
that use procedures as complex as either geod, geodesic nor Pittman's method
discussed some weeks ago.  Projections usually use approximations good over
much shorter range for ellipsoid use and the spherical geodesic for small,
global scales.