[Proj] Unicode

OvV_HN ovv at hetnet.nl
Tue Jun 9 10:38:56 EST 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Gerald I. Evenden" <geraldi.evenden at gmail.com>
To: <proj at lists.maptools.org>
Sent: Monday, June 08, 2009 10:07 PM
Subject: Re: [Proj] Unicode

>> > You forgot Hözel, Larrivée, Putniņš projections to name a few.  Tsk,
>> > tsk.
>> >
>> > I am not too sure on the details of the last as the s shown is with a
>> > caron
>> > but it may be more proper with a breve.  Also the n is done elsewhere
>> > with a "dot" rather than the cedilla shown here.
>>
>> Written with n-cedilla, s-caron at the end it looks at least like a
>> Latvian
>> proper name.
>> I have no idea where to put n-dot_below, s-breve.
>
> Good guess, Reinholds V. was a Latvian.  I am curious how to pronounce it
> other than put-nins.
>
> Snyder definitly uses a period below the n and a breve above the s but
> these
> characters are *not* in my character map routine.

The Latvian character set is delineated at:
http://www.eki.ee/letter/chardata.cgi?lang=lv+Latvian&script=latin
There you'll see an n-cedilla and s-caron, certainly not dot_below, breve.
Probably the dot/breve method was the only method available to Snyder in his
days, leading to something close?

Oscar van Vlijmen