[Proj] Optimal Albers Standard parallels

OvV_HN ovv at hetnet.nl
Sat Feb 20 11:09:00 EST 2010

Noteworthy is the article:
An equal area projection for statistical mapping in the EU, Lysandros
Tsoulos.
To be found in the collection:
Map projections for Europe, Institute for Environment and Sustainability,
2001.
See page 50 f.f.
The author proposes a map projection for the whole of Europe with reasonably
low distortions.
Albers and LAEA are considered. The distortions at the boundaries of the EU
are lower with a LAEA than with an Albers projection.
http://www.ec-gis.org/document.cfm?id=425&db=document
http://www.ec-gis.org/sdi/publist/pdfs/annoni-etal2003eur.pdf

By the way, do you have a similar algorithm for optimal parallels for the
LAEA projection?

Oscar van Vlijmen