[Proj] How to apply an affine transformation?

Jose Gonçalves jagoncal at gmail.com
Mon Jan 11 05:20:43 EST 2010

Hello

I think there is no way of doing direct transformations between two
cartographic coordinate systems (affine or other polynomial) with
program CS2CS.
Using command awk (unix/linux but also available for windows) you can
do something like:

awk '{print $1*A+$2*B+E,$1*C+$2*D+F}' < input_file.txt > output_file.txt

where A,B,C,D,E and F are the parameters of your affine
transformation. The input file must be a text file with Easting and
Northing separated by space or tab, in the same way you would give to
program CS2CS.

If you really want to use CS2CS (or GDAL/OGR programs) you can create
a datum shift grid file (GSB extension), with longitude and latitude
differences, agreeing with the 2D direct affine transformation.
There is the spanish grid file SPED2ETV2.gsb, which is available with
the GVSIG software (and ArcGIS 9.3), which should do the conversion
for all Spain with an accuracy of some 10 or 20 cm. Isn't it very
close to your direct affine transformation?

Regards

José Gonçalves