[Proj] Releasing 4.8.0 ?

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Fri Aug 5 11:04:33 EST 2011

2011/8/5 Emmanuel Séguin <emmanuel.seguin at ign.fr>:
> How far is the trunk version of Proj4 from the 4.8.0 release ? And how
> can this milestone be reached ?

Emmanuel,

Good question.  I made a push for a 4.8.0 release about six
weeks ago, but got bogged down in the number of open bugs
and ultimately failed to bring forward even a beta.

> The 4.8.0 milestone indicator
> (http://trac.osgeo.org/proj/milestone/4.8.0) shows only two active
> tickets yet to be solved.
> However, there's a more substantial list of 46 active bug tickets
> waiting to be solved (http://trac.osgeo.org/proj/report/1).
>
> Do you think all the active bug tickets need to be fixed before
> releasing 4.8.0 ?

I certainly do not feel the bug backlog needs to be cleared before
a release.

> Which one of them do you think must be absolutely fixed in the 4.8.0
> release ?

That is a very good question.  I'd appreciate folks identifying bugs
(on list, or possibly by setting the milestone to 4.8.0 in Trac) that
they think are important to fix before we proceed with a release.
Some I have trouble judging the importance of.

I'd like to have a PROJ 4.8.0 release completed in August.