[Proj] New proposal of JNI bindings for Proj.4

Martin Desruisseaux martin.desruisseaux at geomatys.fr
Thu Aug 25 19:34:19 EST 2011

Hello Frank

Le 26/08/11 00:08, Frank Warmerdam a écrit :
> It is a pity that compatibility with the existing bindings could not be easily
> preserved, but I can live with this.
Actually it can be easily preserved as a duplicated API (providing we do the
small effort of fixing memory leaks and adding safety checks). The question is
rather: do we want a duplicated API (which may cause some confusion)? It is more
a "clarity" than a technical issue.

The reason is that the way arguments are organized in the previous "transform"
method is different than the way arguments are organized in Java2D or GeoAPI,
and translating between the two ways would force users to copy the entire
coordinate arrays.

> What do we do with existing bindings?
> I think it does not make sense to have two Java
> bindings.  I am ok with removing the existing ones
> in favor of your changes ones.
>
> Please ensure the Java changes are prominently noted in the
> ChangeLog file.   I will try to note it in the release announcement.

If peoples are okay with that, I will do.

We can also just mark the previous binding as "deprecated" and wait one release
cycle before to remove them. This leave more time for user feedbacks.

     Martin