[Proj] apply plane rotation after transverse Mercator projection

Mikael Rittri Mikael.Rittri at carmenta.com
Fri Oct 14 04:47:31 EST 2011

Garret Duffy wrote:

> So this leads to two question and one request:
>
> Q1) does omerc take the gamma parameter now? I am running v. 4.5

Depends on what you mean by "now". I think the status remains as
it was reported in the thread you linked to.  That is, there is
no official release that supports omerc with gamma, but the trunk
does, and apparently you can get the proj.4 trunk from OSGeo4W
(I haven't tried to use gamma in OSGeo4W.)

> Q2) what are the limits of alpha?

Don't know, but I would think that two alpha values that differ
by 180 degrees give equivalent results. I mean, it should not matter
if you say that the initial line goes southwest or northeast from
the projection center; it is the same line that is specified.
(I haven't tested this either.)

> R3) Would it be possible to design a new CRS similar to tmerc
>     but taking a gamma parameter?

I have implemented something similar in Carmenta Engine: the
RotatedProjection takes a base projection and modifies it by rotating
the projected plane a specified angle around a specified projected point.
I don't know if something similar would fit in the Proj.4 framework.
But a gamma parameter could be added to any projection in Proj.4, I believe.

Mikael Rittri
Carmenta
Sweden
http://www.carmenta.com