[Proj] Proj4js EPSG:4326 to EPSG:26786 (SP NAD27) 100+ feet Off

Mikael Rittri Mikael.Rittri at carmenta.com
Sat Oct 15 12:50:36 EST 2011

I think Proj4js supports a +towgs84 argument.
If so, you can replace +datum=NAD27 by an appropiate +towgs84, the problem is just that the published 3- or 7-parameter datum shifts for NAD27 give poor accuracy.
The best one in EPSG is +towgs84=-9,161,179 intended for CONUS east of Mississippi river,
but its accuracy is 11 m (one sigma).
On your test point, it is wrong by 38.3 ft (11.7 m).

So, I tried to construct a better 3-parameter datum shift for Massachussets.
Based on one point in Worcester, I got the result +towgs84=-5.16,143.64,208.44.

When I then tried your example, I got

866077.79    231920.98

which is just 5.3 feet wrong.

Of course, my three parameters are not the optimal +towgs84 values for Massachussets NAD27,
and I don't know their accuracy in general, but I hope they can be of some use.

Best regards,

Mikael Rittri
Carmenta
Sweden