[Proj] Winkel Tripel Problems

Mikael Rittri Mikael.Rittri at carmenta.com
Thu May 10 02:02:15 EST 2012

Lars wrote:

> ... I wonder why Winkel Tripel is not supported.

Probably because Proj.4 supports only the forward direction
(from Long/Lat to projected coordinates).

>proj +proj=wintri -I
Rel. 4.8.0, 6 March 2012
<proj>:
inverse projection not available
program abnormally terminated

You might think that you only wanted the forward direction, but
for many purposes both directions are needed. I don't know about
QGIS, but maybe they decided to ignore Winkel Tripel completely.

Some years ago, Oscar van Vlijmen gave a link to a paper that
that described how to invert Winkel Tripel.

   http://lists.maptools.org/pipermail/proj/2007-May/002964.html

Another version of the paper was published in the CaGIS journal,
see

   http://lists.maptools.org/pipermail/proj/2008-September/003799.html

Best regards,

Mikael Rittri