[Proj] Help building proj 4.8.0 with geotiff 1.4.0 for windows

katie outram katie.outram at gmail.com
Tue Sep 18 16:13:42 EST 2012

I'm new to building proj and geotiff and am looking for some direction on
how to get proj to compile with geotiff

My current build is of proj 4.8.0 and I have built this following the build
instructions in the README file included in the windows.zip source
distribution  (nmake /f makefile.vc install-all)

My proj build completed without error and generated me a proj.dll,
proj.exe, proj.lib and proj_i.lib file as I expected it to.

I took the proj output and fed that into my geotiff 1.4.0 makefile.vc file
and set my PROJ_HOME, PROJ_INC and PROJ_LIB to the path where the
dependencies could be found.

However, when I go to compile GEOTIFF I end up with the following link
errors

geotiff_proj4.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol pj_free
referenced in function GTIFProj4FromLatLong
geotiff_proj4.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol pj_fwd
referenced in function GTIFProj4FromLatLong
geotiff_proj4.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol pj_init
referenced in function GTIFProj4FromLatLong
geotiff_proj4.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol pj_inv
referenced in function GTIFProj4ToLatLong
geotiff.dll : fatal error LNK1120: 4 unresolved externals
NMAKE : fatal error U1077: '"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio
10.0\VC\BIN\amd64\link.EXE"' : return code '0x460'
Stop.

Can someone let me know what I'm doing wrong here or if this is a problem,
are there any workarounds?

Thanks!