[Proj] EPSG Dataset ver 9.0 released on 15th December 2016

Martin Desruisseaux martin.desruisseaux at geomatys.com
Tue Dec 20 10:46:16 EST 2016

Le 20/12/2016 à 18:50, Kristian Evers a écrit :

> +1 on creating a Grand Unified Geodetic Database. That would be a hell
> of a lot better than what we have now

I'm not sure what would be the intend of a Grand Unified Geodetic
Database... But I would not recommend creating a new source of CRS
definitions. The EPSG database is quite good in my opinion. The problem
is not EPSG itself, but rather how some software use it. The Proj.4 CSV
files are oversimplification. Giving to Proj.4 a more complete access to
EPSG data, with SQLite as proposed by Howard or with whatever storage
engine achieves the same goal, would be a more effective step I think.

Of course it does not mean to not support other authorities in addition
of EPSG, but I would see that as a secondary goal compared to improving
EPSG support.

    Martin