[Proj] PROJ 5.0.0RC6

Sebastiaan Couwenberg sebastic at xs4all.nl
Tue Feb 27 01:27:03 EST 2018

On 02/27/2018 03:03 AM, Greg Troxel wrote:
> Greg Troxel <gdt at lexort.com> writes:
>
>> The NEWS file says that proj-datumgrids version is 1.6.0, but it does
>> not explain how that should be used in terms of extracting and
>> installing, whether it should be part of a proj package (in a packaging
>> system), or in a separate proj-datumgrid package (or packages).   There
>> is some implication from the past that the datumgrids must be present to
>> run regression tests, but this is not clear.

The grids in proj-datumgrid are used in the proj testsuite, hence
unpacking the content of that archive into the nad/ directory of the
proj source as packagers have done for many years is still highly
recommended.

The grids from proj-datumgrid are optional for the proj build, though.
Since proj 4.9 the build system was updated to no longer fail if the
grids are not present, allowing the grids to be unpackaged into
/usr/share/proj after installation (using a separate package for example).

> I was unable to download the 1.6.0 mentioned in the NEWS file.  Looking
> at http://download.osgeo.org/proj/ I can see why :-)

The proj-datumgrid RCs were published after the proj RCs, this still
needs to be reflected in the proj documentation.

> I am left unclear on which of the following I should package and how.
> Judging by timestamps, it looks like all 4 are appropriate for a
> world-wide distribution, and I would guess that 1.7 includes other than
> EU/NA/Oceania.  But, I don't get why the others aren't also 1.7 if they
> go together.
>
> proj-datumgrid-1.7RC2

You should at least include this as its the successor of the previous
proj-datumgrid-1.5 & 1.6 releases, which packagers have included in proj
for many years.

> proj-datumgrid-europe-1.0RC1
> proj-datumgrid-northamerica-1.0RC1
> proj-datumgrid-oceania-1.0RC1

There are optional. Ideally they are packaged separately to allow users
in those regions to easily install those grids.

Personally I'm not going to package those releases for Debian until
users actually request packages for those.

> I see docs from 2007, but not from 5.

Docs are still a work in progress, see:

 https://github.com/OSGeo/proj.4/pull/577

Kind Regards,