[Proj] PROJ 5.0.0RC6

Bas Couwenberg sebastic at xs4all.nl
Tue Feb 27 10:49:00 EST 2018

On 2018-02-27 15:11, Greg Troxel wrote:
> Kristian Evers <kreve at sdfe.dk> writes:
>
>> Thanks for you feedback, Greg. It is very appreciated.
>>
>> I think Bas has commented on most issues already so I'll skip that. I
>> have updated
>> the NEWS and README files to take your comments into account:
>>
>> https://github.com/OSGeo/proj.4/pull/828
>>
>> Let me know if I've missed something or described things in an unclear
>> way.
>
> Thanks - that almost entirely addresses things.
>

> A further comment, and I don't mean to suggest that the release be held
> up:
>
> The text talks about how the regional ones are not essential but could
> be useful.  That seems fair.  But, as a user, how do I find out what is
> in them, or what I need, other than by downloading them and inspecting
> them?

Use the source, Luke. :-)

  https://github.com/OSGeo/proj-datumgrid

Specific subdirectories for the regional packages:

  https://github.com/OSGeo/proj-datumgrid/tree/master/europe
  https://github.com/OSGeo/proj-datumgrid/tree/master/north-america
  https://github.com/OSGeo/proj-datumgrid/tree/master/oceania

> As a packager, what should I do?  For now, I will include the main file
> in the package, following tradition, and not worry about the new ones.
> I am guessing that this means the grids for the important datums are
> still in the main file, even if they are a North American Datum, and
> the
> north-america file contains only more obscure datums that were not
> previously available.  I originally had the impression that all North
> American grids were demoted from the main file to the regional file.

proj-datumgrid-north-america includes grids for Greenland.

The "old" NAD grids for North America are still included in the core
proj-datumgrid package as they have been since pretty much forever.

The filename and content of the proj-datumgrid was explicitly kept the
same to not require any changes from packagers other than the version
number.

That is also why the .zip format was kept, and in addition a .tar.gz is
available as well.

> I updated my draft 5.0.0 package to use proj-datumgrids-1.7RC2, and I
> see that this added two files compared to 1.5 (which I should have
> updated but didn't), and did not withdraw any.
>
> So I have convinced myself that using the main file for the package,
> and
> deferring thinking about the new files is a good approach.
>

> So it might help to add
>
>   All grids that were in proj-datumgrids-1.6 remain in
>   proj-datumgrids-1.7; the regional datumgrid files contain grids for
>   datums not previously supported.

Where do you suggest to add this?

Kind Regards,

Bas