[Proj] PROJ PSC

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Mon Jun 4 16:06:05 EST 2018

Huw,

Howard's proposal is following the pattern for a variety of other projects
in the open source geospatial world.  The RFC speaks briefly to some
expectations, but there is also a broader "defacto practice" for project
management within OSGeo and in the broader open source world.  I think it
is valuable to think of this as formalizing a few parts of that - in
particular a mechanism to resolve disputes should they arise.

I think Howard, Even, Kristian and others have expressed useful future
directions here on this list, and in the "GDAL Barn Raising" initiative.
Also the overall goal of the project is on the web page "a C API for
software developers to include coordinate transformation in their own
software.".

For a relatively modest sized open source project, expecting formal program
management in the sense it is "enjoyed" by better funded projects and those
done in other development context is - IMHO - impractical. The PSC exists
to ensure that interested developers who want to contribute can do so on a
fairly even playing field, and with a mechanism to resolve radically
incompatible approaches.  That aside, things will mostly move forward
according to the needs of developers who contribute and as the first order
users of PROJ are mostly developers themselves I think that can work
reasonably well.

I also don't think that this is happening in a "stampede".  Aspects of this
have been a topic at conferences for many years, and it is following a well
established pattern.

Note that legal ownership of the code is still in the hands of the original
developers (as is the default with copyright) and use rights are implicit
in the open source license it was contributed under.  The PSC exists to try
and manage a consensus model around the development of what will hopefully
be the most widely accepted branch of the software.  Ultimately forking can
still happen.

Trying to provide a little Emeritus institutional memory to justify my
presence on the PSC. :-)

Best regards,
Frank

warmerdam at pobox.com
light and sound - activate the windows |