[TinyOWS-users] xml isn't valid

Olivier Courtin olivier.courtin at gmail.com
Fri Oct 29 00:35:39 EST 2010

On Oct 28, 2010, at 11:19 PM, Zack Galbreath wrote:

Hi Zack,

> shp2pgsql -s 31467 -I gruenflaechen.shp frida | psql -U postgres -d
> tinyows
>
> I encounter the following output:
>
> Unable to convert data value to UTF-8 (iconv reports "Invalid or
> incomplete multibyte or wide character").  Current encoding is
> "UTF-8".
> Try "LATIN1" (Western European)...  At this point
> "/usr/lib/cgi-bin/tinyows --check" reports no available layers.

Use the -W option to indicate the encoding of the .dbf
So shp2pgsql -s 31467 -W LATIN1 -I gruenflaechen.shp frida | psql -U
postgres -d tinyows

(I've just add it to the tutorial wiki)

> Anyway, I use the France data from the read-only example instead,
> making
> sure to specify writable="1" in config.xml.  When I try to save a
> feature I get the follow response in Firebug: "xml isn't valid".  In
> the
> log file the error is expanded to:
>
> [ERROR] Element '{http://127.0.0.1}france': This element is not
> expected. Expected is one of ( {http://www.opengis.net/gml}_Feature,
> {http://www.opengis.net/gml}FeatureCollection, ... (snip)
> [ERROR] xml isn't valid

> So I have two questions for you all:
> 1.  What am I doing wrong that's preventing me from saving features to
> my local installation of TinyOWS?

Hard to say without the TinyOWS config file and the OpenLayers
ones, but one guess is the namespace of your layer is not rightly
configured

You have to use same value for server attribute
in each layer element ( /tinyows/layer at server)
and for featureNS in OpenLayers config

> 2.  How do I create my own empty feature database to use with
> TinyOWS &
> OpenLayers?

Not sure to understand the question,
You mean an empty table/layer ?