[TinyOWS-users] [Important] Merging TinyOWS project with MapServer one

Olivier Courtin olivier.courtin at gmail.com
Mon Aug 8 14:19:07 EST 2011

On Mon, Aug 8, 2011 at 8:28 PM, Carlos Ruiz <boolean10001 at yahoo.com> wrote:

Carlos,

> Well, I think that being under the Mapserver's umbrella could pull TinyOWS
> to be just another little thing of something big, while
> the project can run for its own and achieve other goals that not necessarily
> are the same of the Mapserver's ones.

It's a risk indeed,

The situation right now is that TinyOWS community already have
some *really* power users helping on all the tests and beta phases.
and i want to thanks you all for that brilliant stuff ! :D

But the project is still missing others devs contributions as patches,
and also commercials fundings to strongly enhance again features.

And i think that MapServer umbrella, could help to be more visible
and so to help on theses two items (patches and funding)

And on an another hand, i really think that there's something like a competition
between JAVA based solutions and C/C++ ones.
So this new 'suite' could be a way to have something closer than
GeoServer or Deegree full features spectrum.

For TinyOWS project, i think the more important risk is too loose,
some of you guys, with the newsletter change.
I definitly hope it will not happens !

> Mapserver is focused on the web map publishing, so it wont be interested in
> another things that involve the online edition nor the online geoprocessing.

If fact i don't think it's still true anymore (if ever), they are
really interrested in online
edition features throught TinyOWS, and could be interrested too by geoprocessing
throught other tool in a future...

--
Olivier