[FWTools] using FWTools; need to recompile mapserv

Jeff de La Beaujardiere jeff2005 at svs.gsfc.nasa.gov
Fri Jun 3 14:20:20 EDT 2005

I am using FWTools 0.9.8. I just discovered to my horror that mapserv is
limited by default to 200 layers in order to minimize allocated memory.
However, I am establishing a server that gets ~25 new layers per day,
and I recently passed that measly limit. I will be able to reduce my
requirements somewhat (say, to ~8/day) when I merge individual satellite
granules into swaths, but that will not be a long-term solution.

Immediate question: when recompile the mapserv source code after editing
map.h to boost the layer limit, is there anything else I need to change
in map.h (or elsewhere) to maintain compatibility with other FWTools
elements?

Longer term question: is mapserv really suitable for a large-volume
server, or should I be searching elsewhere? I specifically need WMS
support for raster images, and mapserv seemed to be better than other
packages I looked at.

Thanks for any help,
Jeff DLB