[FWTools] gcc version

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Aug 22 09:34:13 EDT 2006

Frédéric Trastour wrote:
> Hello,
>
> By default the version of gcc (4.1.0) installed on my linux box uses libc.so.6 and  libstdc++.so.6.0.8
> which are different from those delivered with FWtools.
>
> What version of gcc should I use to compile/link with FWTools on Linux ?

Frédéric,

FWTools is built with gcc 3.2.3.  I think you should be able to build
against FWTools with gcc 4.1 if you use only the C API, and if can convince
your compiler to use at least a compatible libc.  Actually, I'm not too sure
what happens when you have a mixture of libc and libstdc++ versions in one
program.

Generally speaking FWTools on linux isn't aimed at use for development,
though as long as it is convenient I do try to deliver include files and other
developer support.