[FWTools] Re: FWTools Digest, Vol 40, Issue 7

Sujoy Chaudhuri ecollage at gmail.com
Sat Feb 9 12:42:41 EST 2008

Hi Frank, Matt I've been itching for a newer release of FWTools, and
with Mario's help, managed to build OEV2 using Python2.4. I would be
happy to help with any python coding required for a formal release. Best
Sujoy ------------------------------ Message: 3 Date: Fri, 08 Feb 2008
22:05:50 -0500 From: Frank Warmerdam <warmerdam at pobox.com> Subject: Re:
[FWTools] fwtools and python 2.5, what's needed? To: Matt Wilkie
<matt.wilkie at gov.yk.ca> Cc: fwtools at lists.maptools.org Message-ID:
<47AD188E.8080707 at pobox.com> Content-Type: text/plain;
charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed Matt Wilkie wrote:

> > Hi Frank,
> >
> > I understand you are generally reluctant to futz about with the work of
> > changing fwtools to use a newer version of python, that your main
> > interest is in gdal/ogr while fwtools is a back burner automated build
> > thing. What would be required for you to decide that changing to python
> > 2.5 is worth it? Are there things others could do that will help you to
> > that point?
> >
> > I ask because the itch that my two favourite python programs, fwtools
> > and ipython, cannot live on the same python planet is getting
> > increasingly bothersome and I'd like to do something about it.  :)

Matt,

I presume you are mainly concerned about FWTools for windows?  Perhaps
we could try and get things working smoothly for you with OSGeo4W -
the planned new Win32 installer for a variety of OSGeo projects.  It is
expected to be Python 2.5 based in it's first iteration and will include
many of the projects included in FWTools (though not initially OpenEV).

Is it primarily gdal/ogr scripting that you wish you could do with ipython?

If so, that could be accomodated by OSGeo4W fairly easily.

If you also feel a need to do python scripting for OpenEV that would
be harder.   :-)