[FWTools] Which version of NetCDF?

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Fri Mar 7 14:22:20 EST 2008

Kolberg Sjur A wrote:

> Hello folks,
>
> I am using both the NetCDF library and the fwtools dlls in an application,
> and would like to tidy up a bit.
>
> Is it correct that the netcdf.dll that comes with fwtools is the one from
> Unidata (binary or source)?
>
> Which version is it?
>
> If built from NetCDF source - are there any special requirements to get this
> working with gdal / fwtools?
>
> Does netcdf.dll include the NetCDF C++ library, or is netcdfdataset built
> upon the C interface only?
>
> Is fwtools likely to work if I replace the supplied netcdf.dll with a newer
> version (including the C++ interface), or should I then also compile my own
> GDAL and proj?

Sjur,

It looks like I'm using netcdf-3.5.0, likely prebuilt binaries from unidata.
It includes a WIN32_README that starts:

netcdf-3.5.0 WIN32_README
04/03/2001 JCaron

If you wanted to replace it, presumably the C ABI would need to be
compatiable, and the dll name the same.  As far as I know we only
use the C, not C++ ABI.