[FWTools] python version

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Oct 8 10:34:56 EDT 2008

Stefan Muthers wrote:
> hello,
>
> why is the python package of the current fwtools (2.2.6) so outdated?

Stefan,

It is outdated because my technique for producing FWTools included
minimally changing components that worked adequately for my purposes
over time.  FWTools has been produced for over half a decade and some
aspects remain the same as when I started.  In particular it is hard to
update Python as it requires me to upgrade all the Python bindings
components for GTK1 which is ... hard.

> I am trying to use python shapely[1] with fwtools, but python 2.3.4 is
> to old for this lib.

I think this is impractical.  I would suggest building from source or
using some binaries with a newer Python (perhaps OSGeo4W if you are on
windows).