[FWTools] Newb problem - exporting

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Feb 21 19:46:30 EST 2012

On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 12:10 PM, Geoff Mark <geoff at geoffmark.com> wrote:
> Thanks for responding Frank.
>
> Is this what you're looking for:
>
> Size: 10812P x 10812L x 1Bands
> Driver: GeoTIFF
> Origin: -120.000555556 40.0005555556
> Pixel Size: 9.2592592593e-005 x 9.2592593e-005
> Projection:
> GEOGCS["NAD83",
>    DATUM["North_American_Datum_1983",
>        SPHEROID["GRS 1980",6378137,298.2572221010002]],
>    PRIMEM["Greenwich",0],
>    UNIT["degree",0.0174532925199433]]
> Metadata:
>    AREA_OR_POINT: Area
> Band  1: Type=Float32
>
> Looks like raster?

Geoff,

Yes, definitely a raster.

GDAL does not support raster output to DXF or OBJ (as far as I know).
So you pretty much
need to fallback to some other DEM format.  You mention "DEM" which
I'd guess is likely
USGS ASCII DEM format.

You can try doing:

  gdal_translate your.adf -of USGSDEM out.dem

At the FWTools commandline.  This will produce a USGS ASCII DEM
file which might work with your software.  If you need to produce something
matching a particular product profile it is more involved, but in that case
read over:

  http://www.gdal.org/frmt_usgsdem.html

I presume you were actually doing the import and export from
within OpenEV?  I'd suggest doing the translation from the
commandline using gdal_translate as I vaguely suspect there
are limits on the capabilities of the OpenEV export tool.