[FWTools] Convert GPX to shapefile

Jeff Bullard jeffbullard2000 at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 10 22:13:46 EDT 2007

GPSBabel does not handle shapefiles (check their
website).  I have read that some folks are using
GPSBabel in conjunction with GRASS or possibly QGis to
create the shapefile.  As I understand the procedure
goes like this:  take the GPX file and convert to CSV
file with GPSBabel, then import into GRASS and output
a shapefile.  Or something like that.  I was very VERY
frustrated that something that should be such a basic
tool is scarcely available, if at all.  After scouring
the web looking and trying different software, I
finally had to write my own Python script for this.  I
tried both GPSBAbel and gpx2shp.  GPSBabel doesn't
support shapefile and gpx2shp gives error messages and
is out of development.

You say its not desirable to have another tool for
that purpose, but I challenge anyone to name a single
working tool that will accomplish this.