[FWTools] Convert GPX to shapefile

Mateusz Loskot mateusz at loskot.net
Wed Jul 11 05:59:06 EDT 2007

Jeff Bullard wrote:
> GPSBabel does not handle shapefiles (check their
> website).

Yes, I know, but it does export to GPX (from many GPS formats, KML, etc.).

> I have read that some folks are using
> GPSBabel in conjunction with GRASS or possibly QGis to
> create the shapefile.

Implicitly, I was thinking about using gpx2shp

http://gpx2shp.sourceforge.jp/

1. GPSBabel converts from X format to GPX
2. gpx2shp converts from GPX to SHP

> I tried both GPSBAbel and gpx2shp.  GPSBabel doesn't
> support shapefile and gpx2shp gives error messages and
> is out of development.

There is source code of gpx2shp available, so anyone can grab it
and continue development.
If there isn't anyone interested, may be people does not care
about GXP to SHP export, I may only suppose.

> You say its not desirable to have another tool for
> that purpose, but I challenge anyone to name a single
> working tool that will accomplish this.

Yes, I said that, but I wasn't aware of any problems with gpx2shp.
It simply worked for me when I tried some time ago.
Obviously, if this tool does not work well, the situation has changed.

Cheers
--
Mateusz Loskot
http://mateusz.loskot.net